KEEP IT LEGAL. We’ll delete posts defaming others, posting porn, plotting illegal activities, or posting other people’s private information, and ban the poster.
KEEP IT CLEAN. Strong language has no place here. You won’t be able to use profanities and creative alternatives will be deleted.
KEEP IT RELEVANT. This is a travel app. We can’t support off-topic posts and will remove them.
KEEP IT RESPECTFUL. Lonely Planet is proud of hosting a global community that embraces different cultures, faiths, attitudes and points of view. Please be respectful of this.
We remind you that Trips is designed, suitable and intended for people who are over 16, and should not be used by anyone under this age.
Here are some more dos, don’ts and general stuff you need to know
Our guidelines are designed to ensure that Trips is inspiring and safe for all our users.
We may update these guidelines and recommend you check back once in a while.
We reserve the right to remove posts that
- are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
- are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
- contain swear words or other language likely to offend
- break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
- advertise products or services for profit or gain
- are seen to impersonate someone else
- include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
- contain links to other websites which break our editorial guidelines
- describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
- are considered to be 'spam', that is posts containing the same, or similar, message posted multiple times
- are considered to be off-topic
You’ll see a 'report page' button at the bottom of every story. Please use these to report any content you believe breaches the rules.
Important things to remember
These guidelines apply to all content you contribute, including your profile.
Member posted content in our applications and on lonelyplanet.com reflects the opinions and experience of those users, not Lonely Planet.
Community dos and don'ts
lead by example. Use the 'report' page' button to report problem content.
be sincere in your contributions. Post with purpose; to inspire, enable or share with fellow travellers.
use the app to promote a business, product or website, commercial or otherwise. We do not permit business accounts or any sort of advertising in profiles or posts.
advertise or spam. We don’t mind if you include links to your travel blogs or websites provided it’s relevant and contextual information, but commercial solicitation, straight up advertising, or contributions designed to promote traffic to another site aren’t acceptable.
discuss how to commit illegal activity.
create content of a discriminatory or derogatory nature.
create explicit content. Material which would be restricted or considered 'adult' (such as pornography or relating to graphic violence).
post external surveys or links to surveys on Trips. Research or marketing surveys will be removed.
post external links to crowdfunding sites on Trips. We're sure that your cause is worthy or your product is amazing but Trips isn't the right platform to share these links and they will be removed.
impersonate another person, including Lonely Planet staff or authors.
We do not permit businesses to create fake reviews and will not allow them to rebut or contact users via Trips. For fellow travelers to get maximum benefit, remember to make your review constructive, balanced and full of as much context as possible.
Travelers might review you on our website or in our Trips app. We ask that you embrace the good with the bad, as not everyone will have the experience you plan or hope for. Our Trips application is for personal, non-commercial use. Business accounts will be suspended without prior warning.